Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Shot in the Dark

'What is truth?' Sheringham said mockingly. 'Is it what might have happened, is it what was meant to happen, is it what ought to have happened, or is it only what prosaically did happen? That's one of the things we've got to tresh out this morning'
"The Second Shot"

I seldom read what a book is about for authors/series I already know, so I often have totally different expectations for books based on their titles. I thought that Roger Sheringham and The Vane Mystery would involve weather vanes. And of today's book, I was expecting golf. Also: I still think Langtail Press’ covers are absolutely horrible.

While Anthony Berkeley's Roger Sheringham series often plays with the conventions of detective fiction, the characters of the story are usually not as meta-concious as the framework that forms their world. For if the party gathered at Minton Deeps Farm had known they were inside a detective story, they would have never thought of the idea of performing a murder play, nor would they had chosen Eric Scott-Davies (who was the source and target of a lot of negative thoughts) to play the murder victim. Two shots in the forest announced the real death of Mr. Eric, who had been alone in the forest after having fulfilled his role as fake body and now turned into a genuine one. While it seemed an accident at first, police suspicions quickly focus on Cyril Pinkerton, who seeks the help of his friend and succesful amateur detective (*cough*), Roger Sheringham. Can our Roger help Cyril in The Second Shot?

The Second Shot (1930) was published one year after The Poisoned Chocolates Case and is in presentation the complete opposite. Whereas we followed a variety of detectives in The Poisoned Chocolates Case, each with their own style of telling a story explaining their deductions, The Second Shot takes on the form of a manuscript written in the first person by Cyril Pinkerton. We follow his notes as he arrives on Minton Deeps Farm, slowly develops feelings for a guest of the opposite sex, we see how clouds of darkness gather around Eric Scott-Davies and then the deed. After the murder, Cyril finds out that not only the police, but even his hosts and fellow guests think he's the murderer! As a story to be read, The Second Shot is just enjoyable as Trial and Error, as we see how events unfold, but also because Berkeley's at his funniest when the story's about a flawed man with romantic touches caught in a plot of mystery.

Series detective Roger Sheringham is called in not to solve the case (as Cyril believes the victim deserved to die), but only to save Cyril from being arrested. Because of this goal, the main investigations parts of this book aren't about finding whodunnit, but are more focused on the direction of Cyrildinnot. Such a theme is seen more often in courtroom mysteries, but it's also slightly reminiscent of how Roger fixed evidence in Jumping Jenny to make Mrs. Stratton's death seem a suicide. As for comparisons to other series: Van Madoy's Revoir series usually features intellectual tennis rallies between the defense and prosecution about whether the defendant is guilty or not, with both sides constantly coming up with new theories and evidence as the trial continues.

As for the main mystery plot itself; like often with Berkeley's plots, the main premise is very simple and the whole thing only seems complex because everyone is covering for someone else. But I might have become used to his plots, or this one was particularly easy, but I got everything of The Second Shot quite some time before the finish line. Then again, I don't read Berkeley for puzzle plots, I just want to see how he explores the role of the detective in fiction.

Though again, I have to say, The Second Shot is not particularly surprising or witty there. Mind you, it's a good story and if you have never read Berkeley before, it will have some surprises, but compared to The Poisoned Chocolates Case and Jumping Jenny, The Second Shot feels a bit underwhelming.

The Second Shot is not Roger Sheringham's best, nor that of Anthony Berkeley, but it is an okay effort. But I still have a lot of Roger Sheringham stories to go through, so I hope that this was just a slight dip in an otherwise highly amusing series.

10 comments :

  1. In some ways, I think that Berkeley was the most original and self-aware of the Golden Age authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meta-look at the literary role of the detective is certainly something that makes Berkeley a delight to read even now.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the interesting review. :) I've just finished reading 'Poisoned Chocolates', and enjoyed Berkeley's satirical, almost Dickens-ish, humour so much that I immediately purchased 'Jumping Jenny'. It's a real shame that Berkeley's other titles, based on your and others' reviews, seem to be far less successful mystery puzzles.

    Incidentally, if I'm allowed to sneak an unrelated question into this thread: would you be reviewing the new Kindaichi release (Vampire Cherry Blossoms?) anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jumping Jenny was the first Berkeley I read, but I think that overall, it's the most satisfying one I read until now.

      Might take a while, I'm afraid. I read the volumes and the latest volume (released last week) only has part of that story. I'm also waiting for the new Conan to be released next month, so I'll probably write something on both volumes then, but I'll only be able to do a review on the complete story later this year, when the rest is released in collected form.

      Delete
  3. I'm a Berkeley fan and enjoyed reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't consider myself a "real" fan, but I do always have fun with his books.

      Delete
  4. I am a mystery fan of Japan.
    Berkeley is in Japan all the novels have been translated.
    Norizuki Rintarou has praised Berkeley.
    I'm sorry in childish English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment、and you don't need to worry about your English. I've actually read "Jumping Jenny" and "The Poisoned Chocolates Case" in Japanese. I love the cover art, and the books are actually cheaper than the English releases! (And I can find the books in the bookstores!)

      コメントどうもありがとうございます。実は『ジャンピング・ジェニイ』と『毒入りチョコレート事件』は邦訳で読みました。創元文庫の表紙のデザインがいいし、しかも何故か英語の本より安いです・・・・・・。でもバークリーが今でも日本の本屋においてあるって事、やっぱりすごいと思います。

      Delete
    2. 日本語でも大丈夫ですよね、失礼しました(笑)。
      日本ではバークリーは『毒入りチョコレート事件』『試行錯誤』と
      アイルズ名義の『殺意』『犯行以前』しか翻訳が無かったので、
      1994年に『The Second Shot (第二の銃声)』が翻訳され大きな話題になりました。

      Delete
    3. 翻訳されたのは、わりと「最近」の事ですね。やっぱり要求があったというわけでしょうね。

      Delete